What's an Engineer? Crash Course Kids #12.1
Purpose, Scope or Aim of the OER
This resource aims to support teachers in breaking down the misconception among students that engineers are “just people who build houses”. This video will teach the different fields within engineering such as mechanical, construction, health, aerospace and computer engineering.
Short Description of the methods or approaches used in this OER
This OER is a video that will help teachers to show students what engineering is, what types of engineers there are and the different types of jobs they do.
Some questions will be asked to help students identify which ones they are most attracted to.
Step-by-step instructions for teachers to use OER
First, take the following survey of students and make sure everyone has completed it before playing the video.
1. What do you think engineering is?
2. Do you think engineering solves real problems?
3. How do you think we can use tools or our ideas to solve a problem?
4. What invention would you create to solve everyday problems?
5. Would you like to become an engineer?
6. Do you consider yourself a curious or creative person?
7. Do you think it is important to be creative or curious in engineering?
8. Then play the OER video.
9. After watching the video, see if the students’ concept of engineering resembles reality.
10. And finish by asking them, which of the different areas of engineering would you like to learn about and have you been most interested in?